Easy Candy Cane Drawing Tutorial
Candy canes are a great Christmas themed doodle; they’re so easy to draw, but look really good thanks to the bold colours and striped pattern!
This post will show you how to draw a candy cane, and as it’s simple, it’s a perfect drawing tutorial for beginners.
Candy Cane Bullet Journal Ideas
Before learning how to draw a candy cane, here are some ideas for including one in your bullet journal:
- A candy cane cover page for December.
- Candy cane illustrations in your December weekly spreads.
- On a doodles page specifically for Christmas doodles..
- As part of a habit/ mood tracker. You can create a tracker (like a habit trackers, a mood tracker, etc) and include candy cane doodles in your designs. For example you could draw 31 candy canes for a December mood tracker, and add different colours for different moods (you could keep to traditional Christmas colours like red, green and gold, or use colours that indicate a mood better, such as blue stripes on a candy cane for feeling sad, etc). .
- Candy cane doodles accompanying quotes about Christmas, or on a dedicated quote page.
I hope these candy cane bujo ideas are helpful!
Now let’s learn how to doodle a candy cane.
Equipment You Will Need to Draw a Candy Cane
Here is a list of what you need to draw a candy cane:
- Paper, a sketchbook or a bullet journal to draw your leaves onto.
- A pencil to plan out your shapes.
- An eraser to rub out the pencil markings.
- A fineliner (black is suggested, but you can use any colour)
- Colouring materials to add colour to your candy cane These can be whatever medium you’d prefer; coloured pencils, markers, or even watercolours, and whatever colours you’d like (red is recommended if you want to keep to tradition!).
That’s everything you will need to draw a candy cane.
How to Draw a Candy Cane – Step by Step Tutorial
Below is a step by step tutorial showing you exactly how to draw a candy cane:
Step 1: Draw a small circle in pencil on the page.
Step 2: Using a fineliner pen, draw a vertical line from the circle. Start at the right side of the circle, and draw the line downwards and slightly to the left.
Step 3: Draw a semi circle in fineliner starting at the top of the vertical straight line, going over the top of the pencil circle. This is now the inside of the candy cane.
Step 4: Draw the outline for the outside of the candy cane in fineliner, and rub out your initial pencil circle.
Step 5: Add some stripes to your candy cane. Try to keep them evenly spaced, but keep then angled around the curve.
Step 6: Colour in every other stripe whatever colour you’d like (red is traditional, but you can use any colour!).
Below is a pictorial recap showing how to draw a candy cane step by step:
Easy Candy Cane Doodle Tutorial – Final Thoughts
This post shows how easy it is to draw a simple candy cane.
I hope it will help you draw plenty of Christmassy doodles!
Related Easy Drawing Tutorial Posts
If you enjoyed this post on how to draw a candy cane, you might like these other posts on easy drawing tutorials:
- How to draw a dandelion step by step
- How to draw a book for beginners
- Lavender drawing tutorial
- How to draw leaves – easy step by step tutorials
- Christmas tree doodle tutorial
- How to draw a snowman
- Easy Snowflake drawing tutorials for beginners
- How to draw a Christmas ornament
- How to draw a Santa hat
- How to draw holly leaves – step by step tutorial
- Crystal drawing tutorials – how to draw a 3D crystal and crystal cluster
- How to draw a pig – easy tutorial for beginners
You can also follow us on Instagram here!